Pages

Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Pattern Release: Undamo Socks

A few months ago, a fellow designer introduced me to an indie dyer she'd done some collaborations with in the past who was looking for more designers to work with her yarn. I was so tickled that this other designer had thought of me, and I was so excited to work on something with a new-to-me dyer. That dyer is Marian of Marianated Yarns, who does really beautiful work. (Seriously, go look at her gradient and "Marianade" sets -- I dare you not to drool!)

Marian and I discussed the ideas I had for her yarn, and of course what I finally decided on was some more color work accessories. We thought it would be fun to do a mini collection using the same (or similar) colors and the same (or similar) stranded motif. The first pattern in the collection is the one debuting today: Undamo Socks.


These may look like your run-of-the-mill stockinette socks, but a band of swirling colorwork around the leg takes these socks up a notch. They're knit up in Marian's Practicality 75/25, a sturdy superwash Merino/nylon blend. The beautiful purple I used for the main color is called Hidden Peak, and that lovely golden yellow is Peach Delight. You might remember that after knitting these socks, I reversed the colors and knit a coordinating pair for Rainbow, which is a great way to use up your yarn if you've got two skeins, but the small amount of colorwork in these socks makes them a perfect candidate for mini skeins to complement the main color.


The socks are graded to fit the whole family, with five foot circumference sizes ranging from 6 in./15 cm to 10 in./25 cm. They use a standard cuff-down construction, with a heel flap/gusset and wide toe, though because the colorwork is all done high on the leg, it's easy to sub in a different heel or toe if there's one that fits you better.

If you like the look of these, then you'll be happy to hear that there will be two more coordinating designs coming from me in the next couple of months. The next one is a hat and is currently with my tech editor. The third is a cowl that I'm really excited to start because it uses a gradient mini skein set! But if you got unexpected snow like we did early this week, you might want to start with the socks to make sure your feel stay warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment