Pages

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Savoring the Spin

I spent last week mostly working on (nearly) instant-gratification spins -- basically yarns that are thicker than my default. I finished up the second of those on Friday night, some dyed Corriedale from the Ross Farm that had been marinating in my stash for about a year.

Photo gloom brought to you by an unexpected thunderstorm
I actually finished plying this skein on Friday night and skeined and washed it yesterday morning, but it still had a bit too much plying twist in it after it was dry. This morning, I wound it into a center-pull ball and then ran it quickly back through my wheel to remove a bit of that excess twist. I skeined and soaked it again, and it's now hanging to dry in my shower.

In the meantime, I have returned to my usual ways with the project that's on my Lendrum in the form of singles for a three-ply fingering weight. The fiber is Targhee (one of my favorites) from Gwen Erin Natural Fibers that I bought at Indie Knit and Spin last year. I'm a bit more than halfway done, I think.


I had originally intended to spin this for my booth at Indie Knit and Spin next week, but I'm enjoying it so much, I might just have to keep it for myself!

Before I let you go, here's your reminder that if you're a fan of my handspun, you can come squish it in person and take some of it home with you next Saturday! Indie Knit and Spin will be held at the Wilkins School Community Building in the Regent Square neighborhood of Pittsburgh next Saturday, November 11, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. There's no entrance fee, and there's a fantastic lineup of vendors. Hope to see you there!

1 comment: