Pages

Thursday, November 09, 2017

Pattern Debut: Xenolith

Today I've got something a little different for you. Normally when I release a new pattern and blog about it, it's available for you to buy or download right away. Today, however, is more of a teaser, because while you can't get the pattern just yet, you will be able to get the pattern soon.

This one is another collaboration with my very talented friend Lisa of Fibernymph Dye Works. I had the idea for this hat much earlier this year, but with everything the two of us have had going on this year, it's taken until now to finally make it a reality. The idea was simple: a slouchy hat with some colorwork employing some mini skeins. The execution proved to be a bit more difficult, as we had to decide on colors for two very different looks. I'm very pleased with the result, however, and I'm excited to introduce you to Xenolith.

A xenolith is a fragment of a rock that is included in another rock. I thought it was an apt name for the colorwork motif I designed, in which each color becomes part of the pattern when the next color is introduced.

The first version Lisa and I put together uses her Silver Gray as the main color and a set of mini skeins in a gradient version of her Peacock Blue colorway for the contrast colors. At first I was using the mini skeins in the gradient order, but it soon became apparent that there was not sufficient contrast between them, so I ripped back and started over. The contrast is subtle in some spots, but this works much better.


The second version is much brighter and more colorful. While we debated back and forth about the main color, I ultimately went with Lisa's Flash Freeze (Light), a very cheerful sky blue. The contrast colors you see here are (bottom to top) Sakura Pink, Electric Blue, Blazing Orange, Neon Green, and Rhodochrosite.


The pattern is graded to four sizes -- Toddler (Child, Teen/Adult Small, Adult Large), to fit a head circumference of 18 (20, 22, 24) in./46 (51, 56, 61) cm -- and uses half a skein of Lisa's sport weight Traveler base plus a set of five mini skeins.

For the first three months of publication, this pattern will be available exclusively as part of a kit from Fibernymph Dye Works. We'll be debuting the kits at Indie Knit and Spin this coming Saturday (yet another good reason to come if you're local other than to squish my handspun!), and they'll be available in the FDW online shop after that. After the exclusivity period ends, the pattern will be available in my Ravelry shop -- but I'd definitely encourage you to get your hands on a kit if you can, because Lisa's yarn is amazing!

1 comment: