Pages

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Happiness in Fiber Form

Spinning always makes me happy, but sometimes there's a particular combination of wheel and fiber that brings me extra joy. That's certainly the case with the project I've been trying to finish up this week. The fiber was Targhee from FatCatKnits in brilliant highlighter pink and yellow, and I decided to spin it up on one of my Akerworks bobbins -- the first time I've used one, despite having bought two of them almost a year ago. I finally finished up the singles last night.


There are many things to love about the Akerworks bobbins -- the colors, the designs, the fact that they come apart and pack flat -- but I think the main reason I was drawn to them was the fact that you can see all the layers of singles or yarn from the end of the bobbin.


I'd estimate I'm a third of the way done with the plying at this point, and I'll try to do a little more this evening, but I highly doubt that this skein will be done today. I'm also starting to question my plan to pair this skein with the cream Corriedale you saw last week. Some sections of the yarn are coming out very light (the very pale pink or very pale yellow sections), and I'm not sure there will be enough contrast. I'll wait until the skein is done, of course, to make a final decision, but it's highly likely I'll be spinning another skein of yarn for this shawl. Like, perhaps, one I'm planning to spin up from this fiber:


I know, I know, I'm supposed to be on a yarn and fiber diet, right? Well, yesterday Rainbow and the Mister went skiing, so I had the day all to myself. I decided to use the opportunity to visit the HipStrings studio (they have an open studio day the first Saturday of every month), and I just couldn't resist this gorgeous blend of merino, Tussah sillk, and Stellina. It's not really breaking my diet if I'm supporting a friend and indie artist, right?

I usually watch video podcasts or movies on my laptop while I spin, and this week, thanks to Chrissy of the Snappy Stitches podcast, I discovered something new to watch. The Tiny Fibre Studio podcast is a lovely video podcast focusing predominantly on spinning hosted by Becks. She's only got four episodes up so far, but they're very enjoyable and very well produced. Becks has a very ambitious goal for 2017, and that's to knit only with her own handspun. I'm excited to see how well she does, and I encourage you to give her a watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment