Pages

Thursday, December 08, 2016

Not Enough Hours in the Day

I miss the days when I was still knitting mittens -- they knit up so quickly compared to my current projects!

I've been working on Rainbow's Eiswasser (which is still a secret from her) primarily during my lunch breaks at work, and it's moving along slowly but surely. I was really getting pretty quick at the cable pattern until about the last 24 hours, when I guess I got too confident. First I miscrossed a cable (which I didn't discover until a couple of rounds later and had to drop down to fix), and then today I kept having to tink back and reknit the same 24 or so stitches about three times because I kept dropping a stitch. The good news is that I've finished two repeats of the cable chart, so that leaves just one more repeat plus nine rounds of a fourth repeat until I can start the crown decreases.


I will likely work on this more this weekend in the interest of getting it done sooner rather than later; it's still a couple of weeks until Chanukah starts, but I want to be sure I have time to block it and make and attach a pompom. I don't think I will finish it in time to ship it down to Florida ahead of our trip with the rest of Rainbow's gifts (we leave a week from tomorrow), but it can't hurt to put in a little extra time, particularly as I feel like I haven't had much with this particular project. And I do want to be sure I complete at least one Gift-a-long project this year!

The other project on the needles is much more slow going, despite the fact that I've put in what feels like a lot of time. It's Rainbow's Dancing Leaves Cardigan, which is finally starting to look like something (albeit a small something).

The color is not at all accurate because we had hardly any natural light today.


I had hoped to be finished with the yoke chart before we left for our trip, but I'm only about a third of the way through and have lots of stuff to do other than knitting this weekend, so I'm fairly certain that won't happen. But at least by the time we get there, I'll have much more time to devote to working on this, even if I don't have enough time to get the whole sweater done by the end of the year and the end of the GAL. Really, I'm not too broken up about that -- it was probably a little over ambitious to think I could knit even a kid-sized sweater on size 2.5 mm needles in about a month. I know she'll be happy to have it whenever it's done, and she'll certainly have plenty of time to wear it once we're back from vacation and back to the reality of winter.

This weekend we're having a family birthday party for Rainbow, who (if you can believe it) will be seven a week from today. We're also doing a little holiday gift exchange, as we won't be seeing the Mister's side of the family again until we're back in January, so I have all the mittens wrapped up and ready to be distributed. I was thinking today, as I was walking home in sub-freezing temperatures with snow swirling around me, that I really should've knit myself a pair, so I guess the mitten factory will have to reopen at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment