Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2016

A Final Skein

It's Sunday (though it doesn't much feel like it now that we're on vacation), and Sundays around here are for spinning talk. I did not bring a spindle with me, though I did consider it briefly, but I did bring my most recent finished skein. I finished it up on Wednesday night and I just couldn't bear to leave it behind.

Remember this fiber that I picked up off the freebie table at Indie Knit & Spin?


It was merino from one of my favorite indie dyers who sadly hasn't done much dyeing in recent years, and naturally I snatched it up as soon as I saw it on the table (I do still have a decent All Spun Up stash, but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to acquiring more). I decided to do a quick and dirty two ply with this yarn, originally aiming for a DK to worsted weight but (given my propensity toward fine yarns) ending up with more of a sport. Still I'm quite pleased with the finished skein.


It's a bit difficult to capture the color accurately -- the paler parts are a light greenish yellow -- but you can see just how bouncy and elastic the yarn is. I ended up with a bit more than 260 yards, plenty to knit a hat or cowl. I'm definitely using this for something for me, both because it's precious ASU and it's a bit delicate for a gift for someone who might inadvertently felt it.

You may have noticed the little widgets on the right side of the blog where I've been keeping track of my yardage, both knit and spun, this year. It's been a good tool to give me a sense of how much crafty work I've done, and I'm rather astounded that I've spun more than 8,300 yards this year! I have big hopes for getting through a decent amount of my fiber stash next year, perhaps even spinning for some larger projects. I definitely want to knit more with my handspun in the year ahead, though there's such a large amount of it already that I'm contemplating opening an Etsy shop. What do you think -- would you be interested in buying some of my handspun? I'm happy to hear any and all thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'd definitely be interested in buying some of your handspun! I've been meaning to support my spinning friends more :) and you always have such lovely results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely skein. And YES I would be very interested in buying your handspun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your handspun is so lovely, I would love a chance to buy it!

    ReplyDelete