Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Theme Is Handspun

Since wrapping up my mitten spree, I've discovered that the projects I have on my needles have one big thing in common: They're both being knit out of my handspun. There's the brioche cowl that you've seen (and frankly it doesn't look much different from the last time you saw it), and then there's a pair of socks I started toward the beginning of October that I then proceeded to ignore for about a month. I finally pulled them out again last Friday, and they saw a good bit of attention over the weekend. Now they're my lunchtime knitting project.


The yarn is FatCatKnits superwash Targhee that I spun up during the Tour de Fleece this year. I'm not doing anything fancy with the socks, as per usual when I knit socks with handspun; really, I just want the yarn to shine. I'm using 70 stitches and size 0 (2.0 mm) needles. I did two inches of 3x2 rib for the cuff and the rest is stockinette. It's a bit hard to see, but I've just started the gusset decreases.

Tonight I'm hoping to cast on for yet a third handspun project. Rainbow has been asking me repeatedly to make her a pair of fingerless mitts, so I'm going to make her a pair for Chanukah (which is coming up rather soon, so I'm starting to feel a bit of pressure). As they're going to be a present, I'll only be able to work on them when she's not around, which means during lunch at work or in the evening after she's asleep. I'll be using this FatCatKnits Targhee in Hungry Horace that I spun earlier this year.


This yarn is roughly sportweight, and I'll basically be winging the pattern. I have measurements of her arms, wrists, and hands, so I don't think it will be too difficult. I'm thinking of putting a single repeat of the lace pattern from my Corbusier Socks on the back of the hand for some interest. Considering how quickly the mittens knit up, I don't think I'll have any problem getting these done in time. Plus, this is a fractally spun yarn, which means I'm always going to knit one more round to see what happens to the colros.

No comments:

Post a Comment