Pages

Thursday, June 04, 2015

Bobblelicious

Now that it's June (seriously, though, how is it already June?!), it is time to work on some new projects. I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but in addition to Stash Dash, I'm participating in the 90% Knitting podcast Alphabet KAL. This KAL is running through September. Each month has a range of letters in the alphabet, and you can get up to four points for knitting (or crocheting) a project that has elements that begin with a letter in that range: one point for the name of the pattern, one point for the yarn company name, one point for the colorway name, and a bonus point if you can get all three. If all goes according to plan, I should get at least eight points this month.

First, I'm knitting a Berry Season Cardigan for Rainbow. I'm using Cascade 220 Superwash in a shade called Berry Pink. After a couple of false starts (it seems the tubular cast on and I are not meant to be friends yet), I've managed to get through the bottom ribbing and complete one repeat of the charts.


Originally I wasn't going to do the bobbles on the back (mainly because I find them tedious and also not that attractive in the finished garment), but then I realized that there are only three of them in each 12-row pattern repeat and they will use more yarn. More yarn is better for Stash Dash! The pattern is taking a bit of thinking because there is lace patterning on both right side and wrong side rows, but it's getting more intuitive as I go along and I think I'll soon be breezing through it.

Meanwhile, I cast on for a new pair of Diamond Divide Socks for me (because I usually don't wear my samples in order to keep them nice) in Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce in the colorway Doubletree. I wasn't 100% sure about these colors when the skein came in the mail, but now that I've started knitting it up, I love them. I think my favorite part is that the colors in each stripe are actually semisolid, so there's just the subtlest amount of variation in tone.


I'm changing up my own pattern here a bit and knitting these at a tighter gauge than called for in the pattern because I know how my calloused feet tend to wear through socks. I'm using a US 0/2.0 mm needle to get a gauge of 9 stitches/inch, so I'm knitting the medium size to get a finished sock that's actually a small. Math can be fun when it works out!

Just a reminder that my shawl patterns are all currently on sale for 20% off with the code shawlforall and the knitalong has officially started in my Ravelry group! I do hope you'll come join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment