Pages

Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Playing Catch-up

I can't really show you the project I've been working on for the past week (suffice it to say that I'll be able to share it with you in several months), so will you settle for some really finished shots of a project from a while back that I only just put the finishing touches on this weekend?


Pattern: Cascade by Raya Budrevich, from Petite Purls, winter 2010, 6 month size
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash (100% superwash wool) in Turquoise, one skein
Needles: US 7 (4.5 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: September 13/September 29

This was the third sweater I'd knit from this pattern, so the amount of time it took to finish it was really a mark of boredom rather than difficulty. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely little pattern, but when you knit it twice, back to back, you begin to crave something a little different. This particular iteration is for the soon-to-be born baby of one of the Mister's coworkers, who I believe it due to arrive this month. The Mister thought they were expecting a girl but wasn't completely sure, so I went fairly gender-neutral on the color and the buttons, which I picked up at my LYS.


I was excited to once again eke out a baby sweater from a single skein of yarn. As I did the last time, I saved myself a bit of time (and yarn) by keeping the last stitch of the bottom live after binding off, turning, and proceeding to pick up the button band right away. I did the same thing for the collar. As a result, there was minimal finishing on this -- just a few ends to weave in here and there and the buttons to sew on. I'll admit that I let it sit for several weeks with the buttons in a bag on top of it until finally I couldn't stand to see it anymore. So now it's all done and ready to be delivered as soon as the baby is born.

I feel it's worth mentioning that the latest issue of Petite Purls just came out and features an adult version of this sweater that I think is rather fetching. I'm not in a hurry to cast on for it, but it's in my "someday" list. This issue is also, sadly, the last one for the magazine. I'm not sure if it will continue to be available online or not or (if not) if the patterns will still be available on Ravelry, so you may want to print out the patterns you want now.

No comments:

Post a Comment