Pages

Sunday, July 07, 2013

First Skein

It's taken me a week, but I finally have my first Tour de Fleece skein done.


This is a total of 8 oz. of Creatively Dyed 70% merino/30% seacell that I bought years and years ago (from the Loopy Ewe, I think). I was aiming for a two-ply fingering weight to use to knit Water Music, but I got only 598 yards. It's a bit thicker than fingering (it's a bit thick and thin, but most of it looks to be about sport weight).



Despite the setback, I'm not that disappointed with the yarn. It's nice and silky, so it'll have great drape. I just have to find the right pattern for it.

Meanwhile, I've decided to have another go at spinning for the shawl, so I pulled out an 8 oz. bundle of Crown Mountain Farms corriedale pencil roving and split it into two. It's really a shame that I forgot to take a photo of what looked like fiber noodles in a big pile on the floor as I undid the whole hank to find the halfway point; this is the tidy photo after I untangled it all and wound it into two balls.


I think this prep will allow me to spin much finer, so I'm hoping I'll get the 800-900 yards I need for the shawl. If not, I will have busted another 8 oz. of stash!

1 comment:

  1. I'm also a little perplexed by how my yardage seems to be disappearing. Maybe I'm just being overconfident. I like the drape of sea cell/tencel. And it has that cool, slippery feel.

    ReplyDelete