Pages

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Bannockburn

If you're reading this, I want to thank you for bearing with me while I get used to having a baby in the house, working full time, and still managing to get in some knitting and spinning time. Eventually I hope to get back to my more regular schedule of posting two to three times a week, but for now I hate to post when there's nothing exciting to show you.

But for today, I do have a couple of things. First up is the March shipment of the Crown Mountain Farms Fiber Club, which I finally finished on Friday night after spending most of the month of March on it. It started out looking like this, 4 ounces of shetland in a colorway called Bannockburn (and I'm afraid my photo doesn't do it any justice):

I'd never spun shetland before, but I knew that shetland is often used in lace yarns, so that's what I decided to do. My two-ply laceweight is approximately 595 yards -- not my best lace yardage ever, but it should still be plenty to make something pretty.

I still have the April shipment (Wensleydale) to spin, but because I'm planning a laceweight singles yarn for that, I need a little break with something thicker. So I started in on some BFL/silk from All Spun Up that is the April/May spinalong fiber. It's an absolute dream to spin and should be finished relatively quickly as a result. That's a good thing, too, because I went a little crazy during the CMF March Madness sale, so I have a lot in the spinning queue.

Spinning is easier to do at home because there's no pattern to pay attention to and I don't have to mark my place if I have to stop suddenly, but now that I'm working again, I am getting a little bit of knitting done during my lunch break. I finished something yesterday, but it needs to be blocked before it gets its proper photo shoot, so for now I'll just give you a peek:

8 comments:

  1. What a perfect colorway for March! The handspun is as gorgeous as ever. I meant to tell you at knit night that I also picked up the Start Spinning video. Now I just need some time when the kids are in bed and I can simultaneously keep my eyes open to try it out!

    Looking forward to seeing your mystery project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:24 AM

    Looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, teaser pic!! can't wait to see what it is! the yarn is so gorgeous! i love greens/yellows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:20 AM

    Oooh, that Shetland is beautiful!

    I guess you did go a little crazy with that sale; that's not a bad thing, though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I don't know if you read these comments but I was wondering if you could tell me if you use a drop spindle for all of this spinning or an actually spinning wheel. Just curious, I am thinking of trying the spinning and would really like to know how you come up with this beautiful yarn. Thanks. Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz T.11:20 AM

    I think you are doing great trying to learn to balance the new mommy thing, the work thing, the home thing and then...maybe a little "me time" thing! It will all settle into place and you won't be able to imagine life any differently. Always eager to see what you've managed to squeeze in - the sneak peek looks great! And speaking of sneak peeks - any cute Easter photos?!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what it ih-is! I know what it ih-is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea what the mystery project is in the last photo, but WOW, I LIKE IT!

    Funny your roving/yarn is named Bannockburn. That's the Chicago suburb where my college roommate grew up!

    ReplyDelete